Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

Changing registered keeper following a death

Many years ago my father-in-law died and since then his 1971 Volkswagen Type 3 fastback has sat unmoved in the garage of his house. After a further 28 years my mother -in-law passed away and the time came to clear the house for sale.

Thanks to liberal application of Waxoly from new the car is completely solid and after a clean out of the fuel system, new exhaust, brake overhaul and a new set of tyres it has a new MOT.

We still have the original registration document in my father-in laws name but what is the correct procedure to transfer the registration to my wife's name? It was taken off the road long before the requirement to SORN so there I presume there is no annual record of it on the DVLA database.

Asked on 21 January 2016 by shauncwalsh

Answered by Honest John
This is the government site:
And this is some further independent advice:
Type 3s are now quite rare, so you could be looking at £10,000 worth in a Classic Car auction.
Similar questions
I've owned a Ford Capri Injection for 23 years. In October 2015, I delivered my car to a local restoration bodyshop in order to have a bare metal respray carried out. The proprietor notified me that he...
I'm interested in buying a car from someone who has kept the car in Spain. The car is a classic and is registered in the UK, with a UK owner, who has an address in the UK. If I buy the car, I would pay...
I recently bought an Aston Martin at auction on an absent bid as I was away. The car was sold to me as a running and driving prototype. I plan to show and demonstrate it at concours. The car is immobile....

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote