Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

I want to claim road tax exemption on my Ford Capri - how do I find the build date for proof?

I need to prove the build date of my Ford Capri so I can claim road tax exemption. Unfortunately, unlike British Leyland products - there doesn't seem any obvious way to do this. Can you suggest any way of proving a vehicle's build date?

Asked on 13 November 2017 by peter hughes

Answered by Keith Moody
The car's VIN number will carry that information - you can double check this here: This might be enough to qualify as build record. The DVLA also suggest an extract from the appropriate ‘Glasses Check Book’ which lists chassis numbers. These are all out of print, but photocopied extracts are available from some museums, such as the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu. You can read more info here:
Similar questions
My car was SORN'd in September 2015. It became eligible for Historic Vehicle Status in April 2016. I assumed DVSA would automatically update details and therefore no need for me to contact them prior to...
My wife and I have just retired and will use her small car as an everyday runabout. I have a 2010 petrol Skoda Yeti 1.8 which is relatively expensive to tax and insure and only needed for longer journeys,...
My motorcycle was registered in February 1977, do I still have to pay road tax?

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote