Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

How should I register a pre-war classic car that has not been registered with the DVLA?

Can you offer any advice on buying a pre-war classic car that has been stored in a barn for 30 years? The car has not been registered at Swansea and has no registration document. It is currently with a "part-time" dealer who seems honest enough. What is needed for proof of ownership?

Asked on 22 June 2010 by Peter Jelley

Answered by David Ross
You'll need to get the V5 or apply for one from the DVLA:
Similar questions
I ordered a brand new Suzuki Swift Sport in February this year, taking advantage of the car scrappage scheme. At delivery date, I made my way to the dealer and very happily signed all appropriate documents,...
I'm buying a used car. The dealer has the V5C certificate in the name of the previous owner and not in the name of the dealer. Is this correct? Should the dealer not be the registered keeper of the vehicle?
I ordered a new car in January 2022. It was delivered in February 2023 and is now in a higher tax bracket. Can I dispute it?

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote