Trabant commenced production of its people's car in 1957. But its roots lay in IFA, the East German association of carmakers – Audi, DKW, Framo and Phänomen – nationalised by the new Communist government. The first IFAs appeared in 1948, and in 1955 the F8 was renamed the Zwickau P70. In 1959, it was renamed once again to the Trabant P50, built by VEB Sachsenring Automobilwerke.
Material shortages meant the first Trabants weren't built from the planned glass fibre, but resin reinforced papier-mâché – hence the subsequent jokes. By 1960, the East German car industry was rationalised into two makers, Trabant and Wartburg. And Trabant died in 1991.