TVR grew out of Trevcar Motors, run by young engineer Trevor Wilkinson, who was persuaded to truncate his idea to badge the cars ‘Trevors.’ The first was sold in 1949, and the firm soon settled on the glass fibre body over steel frame that would form the structure of all TVRs. After several changes of management Wilkinson left in 1962.
Martin Lilley bought the company in 1965 and revitalised it. However, its Tasmin ‘wedge’ range strained finances and in 1981 the company was sold to Peter Wheeler, who turned TVR into a serious car maker, even producing its own engines. He sold out to Nikolay Smolensky in 2004, who struggled and stopped production two years later.