Hans Glas Isaria Maschinenfabrik was formed in 1883 as a maker of agricultural machinery. In 1951 it branched into car manufacture with a 246cc motor scooter. A range of microcars followed, but it wasn't until 1957 that the first proper car – the 1004 – arrived wearing the Glas nameplate.
The range rapidly grew and ended up being topped off by the wonderful 2.6-litre V8 coupé. Unfortunately the company hit financial troubles in 1965, and BMW bought-out the operation, continuing production of the 1700 in South Africa as one of its own cars. The old Glas factory in Dingolfing, Germany, continues today building BMWs.