Armstrong and Siddeley joined forces in 1919. The first half of the combine - Amrstrong - was founded in 1902 and, after various partnerships, was taken over by the Armstrong Whitworth Development Compane to specialise in large luxury machines, even if it also marketed a smaller 12hp model. It established itself as one of the UK's most respected manufacturers in the pre-war era.
In the week WW2 ended, Armstrong-Siddeley was ready for action. It launched the patriotically-named Lancaster saloon and Hurricane drophead coupés, soon followed by the Typhoon and Whitley. The Sapphire 346 of 1952 brought power steering to British cars for the first time, but the smaller and awkwardly styles 234 and 236 were a failure and contributed to the decision to end car production following a merger with Bristol in 1960.