Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

April 2013

Wally Booher

I have had three of the SD1 cars I have loved every one, my current car is a1980 5 speed that I just picked up so far I love the car and I will cherish it for as long as I own it about the only thing I will do is repaint it, it’s a god awful lime green color I am going to paint it a BRG metallic it’s got a coffee brown interior in beautiful shape and a functional sunroof. Read more

RaineMan

I am a fan of classic vehicles but have decided to down size my collection so that I can have one car to actually enjoy at weekends. The Triumph motorcycle will remain (long term project taking up little space) but the cars will go. The question is what car to get? I thought I open it to the forum for ideas. Important criteria are:-

... Read more

Cyd

There's not much wrong with the Rover V8 engine. It is however critical to change its oil every 3000 miles and use the correct antifreeze and make sure the cooling system is clean and in good order. They sludge up something cronic in the rocker covers and vee unless throughly warmed up every use (a huge source of warranty for LR).

My SD1s V8 was handbuilt by yours truly. It was standard bore and stroke, fast road cam, lightly ported and polished. It was fitted with a boxer manifold and 4x 1 3/4 SU HS6s. With a sports exhaust (nothing too wild) it produced about 225hp and MASSIVE torque. As anyone who's read my posts befor ewill know, I'm an ex rally driver - I do not hang around and drive my cars hard (the SD1 was used to tow a car trailer). I got 70k out of that engine before selling it on as a daily driver to a very enthusiastic buyer. It was a very sideways machine and took some right stick. And never missed a beat. Looked after, they were virtually bomb proof - but I would contend that every engine should be properly looked after if you want to get the best from it for many years....

Sally Sheldon

Using the words "classic" and "car" would definitely help. "Drive it day" doesnt sound very inspiring. Every day is a drive it day for me.
Read more

Lorimer

I was disappointed with the lack of information on the FBHVC website regarding 'Drive it Day'. The Gaydon event was the only one mentioned.
But the good old Google search came to the rescue, and I ended up driving 170 miles in my Daimler SP250.
I first stormed down the M4 (I live in Guildford) to The Royal Oak at Bishopstone near Swindon where they were expecting 150 cars and motorbikes, with snack bars, and marshalls - lots of activity.

After a couple of hours I left and drove South to the Star Inn at East Tytherley where there was another meet (much quieter). And finally, I drove home, up the M27, M5 past Winchester, and then on my favourite road the A31, with its long dual carriageways and many roundabouts. In a car which really does like to sit at 85mph (3,300rpm), this is great fun....

tony g

Absolutely stunning Vauxhall Opel Senator E 2.5 fuel injected manual, one of the rarest and one of the cleanest Senators you will EVER find! Drives like new, interior # (emasculate,) # this car has been extremely well cared for and the new owner will indeed have a future investment that will only increase in value! Factory fitted sunroof, central door locking, CD player and all of the Senator refinements. Odometer reads 12 thousand miles as does the MOT but I would guess this is 112 of paperwork no expense spared, MOT’ed and Taxed till July. Drive away today in this truly awesome car, Thank you .

Lovely misspelling from an HJ classic advert . Read more

Bobbin Threadbare

Maybe he's trying to say that the interior used to be the b***cks, but now it isn't.....

Hahah!

Patch

This would have made for a great mid-size jag at the time. It doesn't look expensive enough for a full-size one imo - but that might be informed by the knowledge that it (allegedly) went on to become the Daewoo Leganza, though I'm sure this concept's bigger than that... Read more

John Slavin

Seems to have the face of a Cadillac?

Stewart Weller

One question.. why are both bumpers the worng colour? IIRC these should be body colour, certainly they were on my 3.0E Read more

Stephen Hancock

It's correct being an Opel, the Senator and Monza carried on as Opels with the Senator becoming a Vauxhall sometime in 1984 (It's still an Opel in the Jan-Feb 84 range review). Mind you, the brochure shows them all having body coloured bumpers, maybe it is two tone.

Suzane Mart

Impressive articles..and also appreciate for giving us nice info.Fantastic walk-through.

Truewebreviews Read more

Nice Article! hope can see your next update soon!

Top 20: Fastest disappearing cars from UK roads

We have a SLX Coupe 1987
Still going strong garaged and
Off the road for the British winters , Read more

DarylDixon

It's fascinating to see the Daewoo Espero topping the list of rapidly disappearing cars from UK roads. The unique approach Daewoo took in the UK market, from fixed prices to servicing at Halfords, was indeed a bold experiment. The Espero's design, reminiscent of the Citroen XM, and its shared underpinnings with the Vauxhall Cavalier Mk2, make it a notable mention in automotive history. While I reminisce about these classic cars, I'm also working on a programming research paper. I've been considering using writemyessays.com/case-study.html for some expert insights. Has anyone here tried their services? And for car enthusiasts, do you believe there's a chance for such classic models to make a comeback in modern times?

Northern Monkey

Ideal starter classic to be honest, just need to watch for the CVH burning oil, and first job is do a cambelt service for any buyer Read more

toomanycars

I had a cabriolet in this shape, that was a 1.6 Ghia and not the more common XR3i (1987) other than being a bit bendy it was a nice car, glass rear window, IRS, superb heating etc....I think im the only person that really likes the CVH motor too, I ran a Sierra 1.8 upto 186k miles..valve stem seals can be changed with the head on :)

AJJ

Seems completely sensible to me, I've never really worried about the classic tag, if someone loves the car, whatever it is then great! Read more

BMW Mass Air Flow Sensor

We like so much. So it seems completely logical, to me at least, that
we should do the same – and also accept that in time, and the passing of
the years, new cars are consistently joining the historic motoring
scene.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote