Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

June 2011

JOGON

Triumph 2000 - Standard transmission on the original car was a 4-speed manual gearbox, with Overdrive as an aption. Whatever happened to overdrive, or did we just get a 5th gear instead? Certain family cars, usually brown, had switch on the top face of the gear knob. From vague recollection you could click this on into overdrive and it was like going up a gear, without having to. In o/d 4th you could just click down/out to 'come down a gear' to eg overtake. Seemed hi tech at the time, presume some reason for demise, any ideas or mech explanations for a non engineer. Read more

832ark

>>Makes for easy driving in towns as you can flick between overdrive 3rd which is >>pretty much like ordinary 4th and overdrive 4th which equates to 5th without using >>the clutch or gear lever.

Run that past me again - I think it'd be pretty hard to shift between o/d 3rd and o/d 4th without moving the gear leaver! Between 3rd and o/d 3rd or 4th and o/d 4th then fine

andyjamesy

I saw that jmbullen posted a question. He saw a Vitesse in the Daily Telegraph and was trying to locate the current owner as he has owned the car in the 70s. Well that's me!

How can I email or IM jmbullen (or vice versa)? Read more

TeeCee

The answer may be in the question as it were.

I see that HJ suggested a couple of clubs that he might want to try tracing the car through. Have you tried contacting them to see if he followed up on those suggestions?

durham525

A hackneyed subject but no doubt someone has been here before.

Household situation is self, wife and some approaching 17 years and desperate to learn to drive. The fleet is an Octavia VRS on 59 plate and an Octavia 1.6 on 07 plate. I understand that learner insurance is available for about £3 per day on cars up to old Group 15. That would even include the VRS but I'm not about to tell him that!... Read more

martint123

Generally, motorcycle NCD does not move over to cars.

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote