John Turner Sports Cars was created in 1949 to build specials and racing engines. His 500cc Formula 3 engine proved effective, and would have starred in the Egyptian-made Phoenix sports car, had it survived the Suez Crisis. In 1954, Turner moved into the production of his own cars from his factory near Wolverhampton, and the first sports car was available either with 803cc BMC A-Series power, or Coventry-Climax for competition use.
The cars were developed throughout the 1960s, after picking up the nickname 'Tatty Turner' in racing circles. Despite its apparent sales success (600 cars were sold), the company went into liquidation in 1966, and production ceased.