Riley was established in 1898, but only started building four-wheeled cars in 1907. The company soon found a niche building competition cars, but despite some success failed to generate sufficient profits to invest in new model ranges. The company was close to folding, when it was taken over by Morris to form the Nuffield Organisation.
While this saved the name it ended Riley’s independence, and the firm's cars became more reliant on Morris (and, from 1952, BMC) in their make-up. The last model to feature any Riley individuality was the 1953-1957 Pathfinder; after that, the models became just badge-engineered BMC variants. The Riley name was killed off in 1969 in the post British Leyland rationalisation.