Nash was founded in 1916 by former General Motors president Charles W Nash, who bought the Thomas B Jeffery Company. To that point, Jeffery's best-known automobile was the Rambler, whose mass production from a plant in Kenosha, Wisconsin began in 1902. The company was based there from 1916 to 1937, then from 1937 to 1954, Nash Motors became the automotive division of the Nash-Kelvinator Corporation, and then production continued from 1954 to 1957 after the creation of American Motors Corporation.
Nash was a forward looking company, and pioneered the use of unitary construction (1941), as well as seat belts (1950) and the manufacture of cars in the compact (1950) category in the USA. The Nash nameplate finally disappeared from view in 1962, although it was an integral part of AMC by this time.