Lagonda was founded by the American, Wilbur Gunn, who built his first twin-cylinder tri-car in his greenhouse in Staines, England in 1906. In the 1920s, Lagonda moved into sports car production and by 1935 it had won at Le Mans. Before the war, WO Bentley was brought in as technical director and designed a V12 engine for use in the firm’s products.
In 1947, Lagonda was sold to David Brown and paired up with Aston Martin. Lagonda stole all the headlines in 1976 with its astonishing (and astonishingly complicated) saloon with ultra-sharp wedge-shaped styling. The badge has lain dormant since 1987, but Aston Martin recently revived it for an off-road concept.